Digital learning – how can I plan and measure it?

In this modern world, where Kerry J of EDNA succintly states “Drinking from the firehose — that’s how some people equate what it’s
like to try to extract useful information from the tsunami of data that
flows through the internet and our inboxes every day,” the purposeful planning of digital learning is imperative.  As part of my journey to the ICT Pedagogical License Advanced, development and use of digital learning planning tools has become central to my preparations.

There has been some recent activity on the web around the purposeful planning and potential measuring of digital learning.  This has resulted in a range of matrices being published and a debate on whether the VLE (virtual learning environment) is used appropriately in today’s world.  James Clay (of e-Learning Stuff) has posted a podcast titled “The VLE Debate” which offers a range of opinions on digital learning.  My work within the Smart Classrooms Framework has highlighted three components to digital learning.  These are digital pedagogy, digital content and eLearning spaces.  Comments from the podcast that ring true to me are fears that eLearning spaces (VLEs) are simply used as repositories for digital content.  For me, this does not represent good practice in digital pedagogy.  In fact, my use of BlackBoard began as a repository for course content.  It wasn’t until I began to develop my personal learning network that I discovered the range of experiences that could be developed and implemented, encouraging interaction instead of simply retrieval.

Two recent discoveries that will further assist me in my planning of digital learning are the “Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy” and a blogpost from “Teaching in the Digital Age.”  There is a dedicated wikispace for the revised Bloom’s Taxonomy that offers a range of resources to assit planning.  The particular post from “Teaching in the Digital Age” that interests me is the development of the “Digital Age Learning Matrix” posted on 20 November.  Although the whole paper is an interesting read, the matrix is what interests me most.  In particular is the placement of the concept of “sharing knowledge” within the matrix.  Other matrices have not specified this specifically, but the purposeful contribution to the “firehose of knowledge” is interesting and certainly a 21st century skill that should be developed.

What tools do you use to plan your digital learning?

One thought on “Digital learning – how can I plan and measure it?